Title

Sailing through vacation in style....with selling tips and techniques to make travel agents more commission!

12.19.2011

Last 3 days in Vienna and Budapest

A combination of back-to-back excursions, shoddy internet, and tons of socializing with other travelers means I got behind on the blog. So today I would like to catch up on my last few days of activities and then share with you my overall experience and a final analysis on who would enjoy river cruising. If you are looking for something different to do for a vacation in 2012 or 2013, you may want to read through the entire blog.

On Thursday we spent a day in Vienna before we headed to my favorite stop on the whole cruise, Budapest Hungary. But let me tell you a little bit about Vienna, Austria first.

Vienna is known as the city of arts, music and good living. Whether it’s the pomp and elegance of former glory, its comparable cultural treasures or the more intimate charms of a traditional coffee-house, Vienna remains one of Europe’s most seductive cities. Unfortunately, we did get a day of rain so I was not able to see as much of Vienna as I would have liked. However, with umbrella in hand, I ventured into Vienna city and hit the Christmas markets once again. There were so many different options for excursions from the Spanish Riding School (which is the oldest and last riding school in the world that classic dressage is still practiced in its purest form) to the State Opera House. Most of us chose to take the guided Vienna tour, where we visited the remarkable Ringstrasse, Hofburg Palace, and the beautiful State Opera House. Although rainy, Vienna turned into a relaxing afternoon. All too soon, though, it was time to board ship again as we set off to Budapest, Hungary.

My biggest regret about my river cruise experience is that I didn’t opt to stay an extra day in Budapest as some of the other travel agents chose to do. Budapest was and will probably always be the most memorable city I ever visited. Really the only knowledge of Budapest that I had was that my families’ great- grandmother came from Budapest as a mail order bride (a story for another time, of course). First of all, I want to say if anyone chooses this itinerary, stay an extra day or two in Budapest. Let me tell you why:

Cruising into Budapest was breathtakingly beautiful and it made up one of the most beautiful riverside landscapes of all. One of the travelers (their fifth river cruise experience) said the beauty equaled London on the Thames and Paris on the Seine River. The Danube River cuts through the heart of the city separating the Buda Hills and the Old City from the elegant boulevards of modern Pest. The city’s oldest bridge, the Chain Bridge, links Buda and Pest.

Views of rolling hills on a magnificent riverside setting (lined with historic buildings) and wide boulevards notable for their grandiose architecture were absolutely breathtaking. Although it was our final destination Budapest was my favorite. Some travelers took the guided Budapest tour where they began in “Pest” and visited the National Opera House, Heroes Square and the Parliament. They crossed the river to the more traditional “Buda” side of the city. This tour highlighted the massive hilltop castle complex and Matthias church. Others, including myself, decided to explore Budapest on my own. My day was spent exploring, eating amazing Hungarian traditional dishes and shopping.

Pest is the livelier side of Budapest, and made me feel like I was walking in downtown New York City. Extremely clean with beautiful historical buildings, the “hubbub” in Pest was quite entertaining. I even saw a traditional Hungarian Sheep Dog walking the streets!

Going through the Christmas markets and watching the locals create their handmade good and foods kept me quite busy and fascinated the entire morning. Since I was in Budapest I wanted to make sure I experienced a traditional Hungarian lunch. Take a look at this meal (which by the way was under comparable to $10 USD). Of course, Budapest would not be the same without live Gypsy music creating a traditional Hungarian ambiance during my lunch.

My shopping highlight was visiting Central Market Hall. This two-level brick building with iron construction inside was a magnet for both the locals and the tourists.

Oh, I could have stayed in Budapest for days, but it was now time to board the ship for our final farewell dinner with an emphasis on experiencing the Hungarian cuisine in true authentic style. A sad evening as many friendships were formed. But we exchanged business cards, email addresses, and I’m looking forward to maintaining some of these relationships and maybe even River Cruising with them again one day. The evening was spent eating then upstairs in the Viking Lounge for Hungarian entertainment. As you can see, my entire week was enlightening and an experience I will never forget.

Along with all my activities, excursions, sightseeing and shopping, there was training on the Viking cruise, where I learned about the different ships and itineraries. So, check back tomorrow, and I will share with you exactly who would enjoy the unique experience of River Cruising. Could it be you?

No comments:

Post a Comment