Title

Sailing through vacation in style....with selling tips and techniques to make travel agents more commission!

12.14.2011

Getting the Hang of River Cruising

I'm enjoying a cup of coffee here at the ship's library and reflecting on yesterday's events in Passau. Passau, known as the "City of Three Rivers", is a border town and the last major city on the Danube River in Germany. It was a pleasant walk to the old town with its Baroque churches and patrician houses all crowded onto the narrow tongue of land separating the Inn and the Danube. It was a relaxing morning and everyone took their time and planned their schedule accordingly for a day of sightseeing and shopping.

I left the ship after I enjoyed lunch. I haven't mentioned the food yet, but let me just say I have been quite pleased with the cuisine. Lunch is always a combination of buffet and sit-down menu-style choices as well. I'll talk more about the food later, though - I want to tell you about my day!

Today guests had the option on either taking a guided tour or spending the day on their own. Several of us chose to go off on our own to visit this magnificent city. It was a leisurely stroll into town as I walked along the river enjoying the views. I made a quick stop into the 17th Century St. Stephan's cathedral. What an amazing church built in late Gothic/Baroque style, and it houses one of the world's largest church organs. Words really cannot capture the beauty and architecture of the cathedral. What I thought would be a quick "in and out" turned into an awe-inspiring walk from one end to the other. You couldn't even help but feel spiritual on some level no matter who you are. To say that I was merely moved is an understatement.

We then moved into town to visit their Christmas markets and upscale shopping stores. I couldn't believe how clean and fresh the town was and the shopping was exquisite. Passau, best known for their linens and 'lids' (hats), I couldn't pass up a few purchases for myself. Who says I don't need another hat? I also took advantage of using this time for some unique gifts for friends and family as well. After a day of sightseeing, shopping, and some fine German beer in the taverns, I made my way back to the ship to start freshening up for dinner.

Every evening has been a delight as I have met some very interesting people. Last night I chose to sit with the couple that met on EHarmony and an elderly couple that I had seen strolling the ship over the past couple of days; their names are Rachel and Kelvin, and were a fascinating couple. Kelvin is a retired Urologist and Rachel is a retired nurse from Rebecca, Georgia. I had actually noticed the couple prior as I thought it was sweet how Kelvin helped and tended to his wife's every need (it seemed that she had a little trouble getting around). The couple, particularly Rachel, was extremely witty. She loved to joke about her husband's profession by letting me know that a Urologist is basically a "pecker checker". She was a delightful woman and I found myself laughing quite a bit during dinner. Now, I want to go back to the notion that River Cruising is for the older more mature adult. And although Rachel and Kelvin fall into the typical age category for River Cruising, I want to say that I have also met couples in their 30's, 40's and on up as well. I'm finding more and more that River Cruising is really for anyone.

What I have found interesting is most everyone I have met this is their 2nd or 3rd River Cruise. And another interesting fact is many of them were ocean cruisers prior, and River Cruising is their vacation of choice. For the travel agent, repeat business is the best! Sending your client on River Cruise can almost guarantee a long-term repeat customer.

This morning, though, we have arrived in Melk, Austria. My scenic view out of my cabin is captivating. The morning will be spent here in Melk, and then a day of cruising as we venture to Vienna. I can't wait....

No comments:

Post a Comment