Title

Sailing through vacation in style....with selling tips and techniques to make travel agents more commission!

12.15.2011

Tears of Beauty, Seeing God, and Viking Suites!

Today I cried....I will tell you about it later.
This morning we arrived in Melk and it was a walk or shuttle into town. Melk has become one of the finest attractions in Austria and one of Europe’s great cultural heritage sites. Many of the passengers took the guided tour of the dramatic, majestic and imposing 900 year old Melk Abbey while others perused the town and shops. Melk Abbey is a site to be seen. Perched on cliffs high above the Danube, the interior of the abbey’s church is a kaleidoscope of red, orange and gold and shimmering celing frescoes. The tour took a little over an hour and was well worth it. Melk was very small quaint town full of small shops and cafes and displays of their meat and cheeses. What really captured me about Melk was the quiet. It was such a quiet peaceful town and perfect for a morning stroll. A little touring and shopping and I was back on the boat for lunch. It was anchors aweigh again as we left Melk.

I really was looking forward to today as we were cruising in the daylight from Melk to Vienna. Bundled up I went to the top deck with a glass of champagne and I think I may have seen God. I have never seen such a beautiful and memorable landscape in all my life. The pictures cannot even come close to its beauty. This traverse valley, along with picturesquely situated villages and numerous craggy fortresses on either side was simply a storybook. And I wanted to know the story. Although cold up there, I stayed for hours as we cruised along the Danube and through different villages like the Wachau. I think it will be my most memorable moment of the cruise, and perhaps in my lifetime. Now those who know me understand I am not a woman that cries easily, but I just couldn’t stop the tears welling up in my eyes as I tried to capture the beauty. I don’t think I have ever been more moved in all my life.

Since today was a day of cruising, I took the time to really get to know the ship, the Viking Prestige and some of the other cruisers. In the Viking Lounge they were offering mid-afternoon snacks from the local vendors like their famous meats, sausages, and cheeses. Many stayed to watch the demonstration on how to make Austria’s famous Apple Strudel. For any of you who would like the recipe....well, I got it now! So, feel free to contact me.

Another interesting presentation they gave were on the 6 new ships entering the fleet next year, and some of the other cruising itineraries. You could hear the travelers already talking about their next River Cruise. I would also like to mention that I appreciated that they ended the presentation by telling the group that it is always best to use a travel agent when booking their next cruise. As travel agents, we know that of course, but the consumer doesn't always know, especially when they don’t pay anymore to use us. The rest of the afternoon was spent cruising.
Many stayed in the Lounge for festivities and entertainment, while others took naps or simply relaxed in a chair to watch the views. The food on the ship has been really good. Unlike Mexico or the Caribbean, you just cannot go wrong with European food. Prepared by their Chef, the presentation of the food is just as good as the taste itself.

I ended up spent another evening with Bill and Pat at dinner (the couple who met on EHarmony whom I told you about earlier) and really got to know them. I’m hoping we stay friends after the cruise as I really enjoyed their company. This is their second River Cruise and they are already planning their third. During conversation they mentioned how they lucked out as they were upgraded to a suite, one of only two on the ship, two days before the ship sailed. They were so kind to show me their suite as I really wanted to get a "birds-eye" view. To put it bluntly, I was jealous when I saw it. Spacious walk-in closet, tub and separate shower, 2 sinks in the bathroom, separate sitting area which is closed off from the spacious bedroom. I asked them how could they ever go back to a standard cabin. Their answer? “We won’t”!.......So, of course, I made sure they have my business card as I am anxious to work with them on their next River Cruise.

Today we have arrived in Vienna......relaxing, sightseeing, shopping, and eating is on the agenda! Check back tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic review of Budapest
    Cyndi, you are a very talented writer/blogger and I really have enjoyed reading your amazing experiences on your river cruise. Thanks for sharing. Elaine Trizzino

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Elaine....I am glad you enjoyed reading about it. Please think of me if you ever decide to River Cruise again. I would love working with you on it! Cyndi

    ReplyDelete